Our Department of Neurosurgery is a center of excellence for the surgical treatment of the full range of nervous system diseases. In 2005, we cooperated with the department of Radio-oncology to establish the Cyberknife Center, which was the milestone in cancer therapy of our hospital. In 2007, the Cyberknife Center has officially become the only training center in Asia. In the meanwhile, the brain and spinal cord injury research team was in charge of the project on island and remote area HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Medical Service) supported by Department of Health, Executive Yuan and established National Aeromedical Approval Center (NAAC) in Emergency and Rescue Command Center and National Rescue Command Center of National Fire Agency, Ministry of the Interior. We also cooperate with International SOS to assist international Aeromedical transport, especially neurosurgical patients in the majority, and are in charge of command and integration of rescue work in case of disasters. Dr. Lin, Jia-Wei, Chief of Neurosurgery Department of Shuang Ho Hospital, cooperated with UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC) in the “immune therapy for malignant gliomas” , which is based on autologous tumor lysate-pulsed dendritic cell through transnational clinical research.
Facilities and Equipment
- Tumors of the nervous system
- This service is led by the Chief of Neurosurgery Department of Wan Fang Hospital, Dr. Hung, Kuo-Sheng, and Dr. Lin, Jia-Wei, Shuang Ho Hospital. Combined with surgery, radiotherapy, immune therapy and gene therapy, we offer patients integrated treatment for primary or metastatic tumors of the brain, spine, and peripheral nerve.
- Spinal trauma and degenerative spine disease
- Minimal invasive, endoscopic surgeries of spinal trauma and degenerative spine disease are conducted by Dr. Hung, Kuo-Sheng from Wan Fang Hospital.
- Neurocritical care
- Dr. Lin, Chien-Min from Shuang Ho Hospital and Dr. Kung, Woon-Man from Wan Fang Hospital led the team of Neurocritical care. Postoperative patients and those with traumatic brain injuries are closely monitored in the Neurointensive care unit. The team is composed of specially trained neurosurgeons, nurses, respiratory therapists, nutritionist and other professionals and provides balanced, attentive care.
- Cerebrovascular disease
- This team is led by Dr. Chiang, Yung-Hsiao from Taipei Medical University Hospital, Dr. Hung, Kuo-Sheng from Wan Fang Hospital, Dr. Lin, Jia-Wei and Dr. Yeh, Yi-Shian from Shuang Ho Hospital. Neurosurgeons, neurologists, interventional neuroradiologists and radiation oncologists coordinate the care of patients with all types of neurovascular disorders including aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs), cavernous malformations and stroke.
- We have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for diagnosis and treatment: Electroencephalography (EEG), electromyography(EMG), myelography, angiography, 64 slice computed tomography(CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), stereotactic neurosurgical device, radiofrequency, microscope, microsurgical instruments, intracranial pressure monitor, intraoperative sonography, high-speed neurosurgical drill, Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator (CUSA), and the featured Cyberknife radiosurgery