Radiation Oncology is devoted to develop best cancer treatment, and provides integrated cancer examination, diagnosis, treatment, trace, psychological support and hospice to public and patients. Radiation Oncology and Neurosurgery department established CyberKnife Center in 2005. By adopting highly accurate radiation surgery, it can provide effective control on difficult previous cases. Worldwide professionals have already confirmed our effort. Our Cyberknife Center becomes the only Cyberknife clinical practice training center in Asia. To improve the quality and effectiveness of cancer treatment, Radiation Oncology department puts effort on assisting hospital to develop cancer treatment center and corporate with cancer treatment crews from other departments to provide complete services for our patients.
Wan Fang Hospital, in corporation with famous medical centers from overseas, brings in new tumor treatment techniques and advanced machines continually to provide the best medical services to patients. Starting from 1998, Radiation Oncology department brought in photon knife for whole body therapy. It reduced the side effect on radiation effectively and improved the control rate on tumor at the same time. This department spent over ten million more at 2004 to bring in compact electron linear accelerator and tumor-specific computerized tomography radio-surgery simulator, to provide better Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
. Since september of 2005, hospital has spent up to hundred million to bring in advanced cyberknife radiosurgery system in order to provide comprehensive cancer treatment.
Medical equipment introduction
Radiation Oncology department has Photon Knife, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), 3D Computer Tomography Simulator and Cyberknife corporated with Neurosurgery Department. Therefore we can provide high-tech treatment to tumor patients and provides wider and more accurate medical service to patients.
CyberKnife treatment flow:
- Photon Knife: by using linear accelerator as radioactive source to send a photon beam is called Photon Knife. Photon knife emphasizes on accuracy. It could avoid the danger and side effect from surgery, and the effect compares favorably with surgery. So patients on clinical treatment appreciate it.
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): the premise of radiotherapy is to maximize the quantity of radiation to tumor, and to minimize the radiation to healthy cells and surrounding organs. By using IMRT and Inverse Treatment Planning System, combines with Multi-leaf collimator, more effective radiation could be delivered to tumor, and reduces the side effect caused by radiotherapy.
- 3D Computer Tomography Simulator: 3D CT Simulator is the most high-tech tumor simulator til now. It uses computerized tomography scan to produce three-dimensional virtual images for virtual examinations and surgery use. Doctors can locate tumor lesion, endangered tissue and organs accurately to reach the best treatment effect with minimized side effect.
- Cyberknife: Cyberknife is a robotic arm with compact electron linear accelerator sending 6MV x-ray radiation. By using high-speed computer-control target simulator and 3 dimention location system, doctor can examine and trace tumor location on real time. When system finds target tumor moving, robotic arm would trace the target automatically and destroys it. The first Cyberknife machine was assembled at Standford University Ancillary Hospital at 1994 for brain tumor treatment. After continuious improvement by different fields of specialists from Standford University, it is approved by FDA on 2001 to treat tumor for any part of the body. It is also the first machine that uses virtual guided robotic arm to excecute the 3 dimentional radiation surgery. Over hundred hospitals use Cyberknife to cure tumor patients and over sixteen thousand patients have received this treatment until 2005.
Please bring the following documents when seeking treatment in the CyberKnife Center. ( Patients are kindly requested to prepare all the following documents so that our doctors can better understand your conditions)
Fiducial Marker Implantation:
- Discharge summery
- Operation report
- Pathology report
- Computer tomography (CT) and report
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and report
- PETS and report
- Laboratory (blood) report
- Radiotherapy records
- Chemotherapy records
- Purpose：To have an internal position system to track the precise location of the tumor.
- Patients have to be admitted into the hospital for observations after implanting the fiducial marker.
- Patients cannot eat anything for 8 hours before the surgery.
- Process during the Implantation:
- Ascertain the target position of the fiducial marker through the volumetric computer tomography(VCT) or the ultrasonic guidance.
- Scan the target position
- Sterilize the skin of the operative field
- Inject local anesthesia.
- Fiducial Marker: a golden needle of about 0.8 *5mm; it is not necessary to take it out after the treatment.
- Several scanning are required in order to confirm the position of the golden needle
- Wound Care after the Implantation:
- Pressure has to be exerted upon the piercing point to prevent bleeding; patients often have to rest on the bed for 1-2 hours
- Swabs can be removed 24 hours after the implantation; before the removal, patients are advised not to get wet.
- Patients are kindly asked to inform the nursing staffs immediately when they have chest pain, abdominal pain or secretions from the wound.
- Possible Complications after the Implantation:
- Bleeding and infection
- Injury of the surrounding organs
- Implantation in lungs: a few patients may cough up blood, or may have pneumothorax and subcutaneous emphysema; they only have to rest for a few days; very few pneumothorax cases (<1%) require chest-tube insertions.
- Cast production:To produce immobilization casts according to the size of the patients, in order to limit patient’s moves when they are having the treatment but without causing them any discomforts.
- Attentions during the Treatment:
- Do not rinse the mark on the skin with soap
- Do not apply any lotions or cosmetics on the operational skin during treatment period
- Patients will not feel pain when they are having the treatment; it feels like having radiology tests
- Please be relaxed and enjoy the soft music; it is better to fall asleep, so that the muscles of the whole body will be relaxed and the operational body part will be stationary, this will shorten the treatment time.
- There will not be any hazardous radiological substances left in the body after the treatment.
- The treatment time is about 1hour.
- Side-effects of the Treatment:
- Patients will have weaker physical conditions; they are kindly asked to have enough sleep and replenish their nutrition when feeling tired.
- A few patients will have the following discomforts:
- If the operational part is the head: slight headache, dizzy
- If the operational part is the lower abdomen or the lower spine: slight nausea, vomit
- Our doctors will prescribe appropriate medicines to relieve the discomforts depending on the situation
- Attentions after the Treatment:The effects will not be immediately seen after the CyberKnife treatment. Patients have to receive long periods of after-treatments in order to assess the curative effect. Therefore, patients are required to receive after-treatments regularly after the treatment.